Sunday, February 05, 2006

Go Team Canada!

I recently signed up for Team Canada's 2006 Olympic Knitting Team! The rules are that you can't cast on until the opening ceremonies, and you have to have it done by the time the closing ceremonies come along, and it should be a challenge.

It took a while, but I've finally decided on the Odessa Hat from MagKnits - it's swirly, and it has beading, and that's something I've never worked with before, so there's my challenge!. I went to Romni Wools and got the yarn, I still need to buy the beads but I have all week to do that.

Problem is, I can't really do a proper gauge square for this, because they've given the gauge as "26 sts and 33 rows = 4” / 10cm in hat pattern knit circular" - which means it's not just a square, I'd have to do it in the round, and that's just crazy, I won't have the time for it. I knitted up a straight stockinette stitch square and the gauge matches, but of course that's gonna be off. So already I'm set to start it all wrong, by not making sure my gauge is correct.

Also, I will be making at least one 8" square for the Hamilton team, as they are going to be making a blanket for Project Linus. If I can get to it. Um.

(Later)

Well, I got the beads, they're really pretty - the yarn is a really pretty green so I got some pearlescent bluey-greeney beads for it, and also got some casein double-pointed needles for the bottom part of the hat, so I'm all prepared! Well, other than the whole gauge square thing. And the square for Project Linus. Hmm.

Also happened to just run into a friend of mine while out in the beaches getting my extra supplies, that was cool - we chatted and streetcar'd together, it was all good.

(Even later)

So Monster's Ball was on tonight. Um. Well, it was pretty powerful, and actually Billy Bob didn't turn my stomach, which he has a tendency to do, and I think Halle Barry did a great job. But geez, I had a really hard time watching it. In fact, I kept changing the channel and then changing it back, so I saw it in fits and spurts. I do that a lot actually.

Wow, this entry is really long. I'm setting a bad precedent here...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sad that I can't come to the opening pub in TO. *sigh* I think I'm going to have to come visit you for some compensation knitting.

    And I think I'll have to do a square for the Linus project as well. Love the hat - did you see my yarn and scarf?

    ReplyDelete

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.