Thursday, December 22, 2016

First time reporting someone to HR

In the elevator on the way up to the office just now, I mentioned to one of the assistants in the elevator with me 'can you believe it's almost Christmas?' and she said 'yes' which kind of threw me, so I said 'it just seems like the fall went by so fast' and she said 'the years go faster when you're older' not even joking, like I'm ancient or something. Whatever.

OK, so then she asked, 'is that a milk on ice you're drinking?' and I say 'no, it's an iced coffee, it's just got a lot of milk in it so it's quite light' and she says 'do you know that's taking milk away from a baby' so I say 'Tim Hortons does not use human breast milk to make their iced coffee' and then she starts ranting about baby cows and how awful that is, and I say a cow's gonna give milk, and she laughs at me and says 'that's so retarded'

Excuse me. You're going to get on your moral high horse, in the elevator, first thing in the morning, and then you're going to throw around 'retarded' as an insult?

I told her not to use that word, and she just kept laughing and said it again. And said it a third time when she got off on her floor as the doors were closing.

Because my memory is really awful I can't remember her name, even though I know exactly who she is. Which is a good thing, because I was kind of shaking with rage by the time I got to my desk and if I could remember her name I'd be emailing HR.

And now my day is probably ruined, I'm really upset.

...later...

She also had a large 'no fur' badge on her coat. Which doesn't mean anything, really, I have known a great many vegetarian or vegan people and not one has ever done this.

I figured out who she is using our internal directory. I have emailed my manager to ask her how she thinks I should proceed. I mean, this person has never been rude or mean to me before, I don't know if maybe she had something nasty happen to her this morning, etc. Not that it excuses her berating me from her supposed moral high ground and then pulling that moral rug right out from under herself immediately afterwards.

To offset this, I just went downstairs with my Manager to get a London Fog (more milk, screw you crazy person), and the guy behind the counter asked if that was a TARDIS on my back and proceeded to tell me - without prompting - about his first viewing of the show and what he thought about it. So the day is improving. Also, London Fog.

I'm now hearing that she's already known as 'batshit crazy' so I don't feel any hesitation now. Reported her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.