Thursday, August 24, 2017

Anxiety disorder?

My reaction to the one episode I watched of Handmaid’s Tale, and what’s been happening under the Cheeto 45, got me thinking. I know my mother had a growing anxiety disorder, do I need to worry about that? Anyway, I found this article, according to which there are 12 signs of anxiety disorder:

  • Excessive worry – I don’t think my worry is excessive, though I find it growing
  • Sleep problems – I don’t have any sleep problems now I haven’t had for years
  • Irrational fears – it’s what has been happening in the US over the past 8 months that has been bothering me the most, I see Handmaid’s Tale as a future history, not a fiction, at the moment – I don’t know that it’s irrational though
  • Muscle tension – I don’t think I have this, but then again I wouldn’t know unless I actually start seeing a massage therapist. I do clench my jaw a lot, but again I’ve done that for years
  • Chronic indigestion – I do have chronic gastritis and have for a number of years now, and symptoms of IBS at times, but I’ve always put the latter down to diet (I eat a lot of crappy food)
  • Stage fright – I’ve said for years now that I like to be the centre of attention until I actually am, at which point I want to hide in a corner
  • Self-conscious – constantly and always
  • Panic – I have had four panic attacks in my life, and three of them were while my mother was dying, so I don’t think this is a constant problem for me
  • Flashbacks – I don’t think so, I mean I live in my memories a lot but I don’t think it’s the same thing
  • Perfectionism – I have a lot of understanding for other people not being perfect, but I get very upset with myself for not meeting the high standards I seem to think I have to hit
  • Compulsive behaviours – I definitely have some but I don’t think they’re to the point of obsession
  • Self-doubt – constant

So the result to me is: I don’t think I actually have an anxiety disorder, though I have about half of this list. I kind of wish pot had an effect on me because that would probably solve that half.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.