Monday, October 29, 2018

Let’s talk


Was just reminded that we don't know when our situation is weird if we don't talk to others.

Fun example: when I was a teenager I used to walk home from high school, took about 50 minutes or so. About halfway home I would always start feeling like I had daggers in the bottom of my feet. Literally as if there were small knives in the soles of my shoes. I just assumed everyone dealt with this, and long distance runners were especially tough. It wasn't until I was in my 30s that I discovered that it was, in fact, because my ankles pronated, which in turn put extra pressure on (and flattened) the ball of my foot, and inflamed my entire fascia - something my chiropodist had never seen. Two weeks after getting orthotics the knives I'd dealt with for almost 20 years went away.

Or Dad and I discussing upcoming events and gesturing in a wide circle around the table to indicate when things were happening, and Mum coming over and asking what the hell we were doing. Turns out we both have a form of synaesthesia. This was about 10 years or so ago.

Lesson: talk to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.