Monday, June 07, 2010

I Allow Media To Sway My Opinions.

Okay, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration. But honestly, I don’t listen to the radio anymore, everything sounds like the same crap (I don’t have satellite radio, and yes I know that would change my mind). But I like new stuff I hear in commercials and on TV shows and in movies.



iPod girl adFor example, On Board by Friendly Fires was used in the Wii Fit commercials, and now I love it. Moby was, let’s face it, EVERYWHERE when Play came out, and I followed the sheep and bought the album (don’t regret it at all). Might never have listened to Black Eyed Peas if Hey Mama wasn’t in an iPod commercial. Start The Commotion by The Wise Guys made my summer five years ago, all because of a car commercial. If it weren’t for Russell Brand’s Favourite Bands, I never would have heard Glorious by Captain, which has since become one of my favourite songs ever. Gary Jules’ version of Mad World from Donnie Darko made me cry. The soundtrack to French Kiss gave me a love for Charles Trenet. That series of commercials The Gap did a decade or so ago introduced me to Rufus Wainwright, for which I’m grateful, and introduced everyone else to the resurgence of Swing (I already loved it, but it did result in making Swing easier to find). And this weekend’s episode of Doctor Who featured Chances by Athlete, which I instantly adored and may have to find now.

So what am I saying? Am I a media whore? Am I a sheep? I still listen to my own stuff, my playlist on any given day is still entirely unpredictable. Maybe I’m just jaded. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.