Friday, August 19, 2011

Girl in a closet

Cast your mind back, through the mists of time, to July 18, 2006...

---

Today at work...

I'm generally good at reading the bad handwriting of our lawyers, so N asks me to translate something in a markup on one of the proposals we're working on - Mr B had given it to her earlier and gone over it with her but she couldn't remember what he'd said and didn't want to call him and ask him again - but I couldn't figure it out so I said I'd just call him and tell him I was helping you but you were out of the room and could he tell me what it said?

Great plan. I called Mr B, who is very friendly, and asked for his help, and he said 'I'll be right over'. Gah!

He's coming over, I tell N, she panics, what to do, what to do... I know, says N, I'll hide in the promo items closet! That's right, grown woman, hiding in a closet, in the office, with the lights out.

So Mr B comes by, looks at what he's written and tells me what the word was, no problem. Then, on his way out the door, he casually says, oh, do we have any new promo items? (N can, of course, hear this behind the door and is likely panicking at this point)

Thinking fast, I tell him we don't have any new ones, but there might be something new coming in a few days.

What about t-shirts? he says.

Well, we have some black ones which are really nice, but we're out of stock, I say, trying to suggest to him subliminally that perhaps he doesn't really want them.

Can we have a look in the closet at them? he says.

At this point, in the closet, N is trying to figure out exactly how she can fit onto one of the shelves and bury herself.

Oh, I say, we're out of stock, but here, let me show you a picture on-line, you like? Okay, I'll order them for you, when they come in I'll have them sent down to you, thanks!

I usher him out, make sure he's down the hall and around the corner, then let N out of the closet. She practically falls out. We almost wet ourselves laughing.

This may be the funniest thing that's ever happened in our little office. This is the stuff of legend.

--

Something just made me think of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.