Friday, July 11, 2014

Edge Of Tomorrow: stupid name, awesome film.

Okay, let me get this out of the way first - I've never met Tom Cruise, but the impression in my mind is of a little kid who just wants everyone to like him. Which is both sweet and slightly creepy. Which is a shame, because it makes me forget that I quite like his acting. Like, every time. Whenever I see him in something, it hits me again with a jolt, 'oh yeah, he's a good actor!'

So, about this movie. (Spoilers ahead guys!)

First of all, anyone may be forgiven for thinking this is actually a soap opera, based on the name. It's a stupid name. But the original source is called 'All You Need Is Kill,' so I'm not sure if this is better or worse. But, like Lucky Number Slevin, don't let the stupid name keep you from seeing it.

What it is, in fact, is a sci fi war movie with a hint of Groundhog Day. Quick plot: falling meteors turned out to contain an alien invasion force which has quickly defeated almost the entire world, because they always seem to know when an attack is coming and how to mimic their tactics. Survival of the human race seems to hang upon a secret allied attack - which turns out to be anything but secret.

Our hero doesn't start off as one. Major William Cage has a cushy job - which he loses as a result of his own cowardly blackmail attempts, and ends up assigned to a group landing on the front lines the following morning. He doesn't know what he's doing, has no idea how to use his gear and weaponry, sees everyone get killed by the ambushing aliens and then is killed quickly himself. And then wakes up back at the barracks, being assigned to the same group. And it happens again. And again. And the more this happens, the better he gets at it, and he goes through the kind of growth needed to turn a weasel into a hero.

Cruise is great in this role, it's wonderful to see his progression through this, from awkward and horrible to sure and brave. But it isn't all about Cruise - Emily Blunt plays Sergeant Rita Vrataski, already an actual hero, and she's definitely bad-ass. And, as it turns out, she's gone through exactly what he has. The dynamic between them is definitely one of the great things about this movie. Once Cage acclimates to and takes control of his new situation, there's no singular hero here - both Cage and Vrataski are co-heroes, so to speak - neither is merely being pulled along by the other, they take on their mission together.

The aliens - they have a really cool design and mode of locomotion, I think I'd be pretty terrified if I saw one of these things coming at me. I've heard some people complaining about them, I don't understand why.

Have you seen Edge Of Tomorrow? I saw it twice, I might even get it on DVD/Blu-Ray when it comes out, it was definitely fun. What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.