Thursday, June 23, 2011

I have more Tarot!

I've been quite busy lately, as you may have guessed, but I thought I'd take a moment to tell you about a few new decks I've added to my collection – I've been very good, only two Tarot decks and two Oracle decks since last Autumn. Does this mean I've actually learned to my impulses? Maybe...

Rumi Card and Book pack – I wasn't sure what to expect from this package, I hadn't really read anything about it and there were no pictures on the box, but I loved the Indian-influenced graphics and colours so I gave it a shot. And I'm quite glad I did! The set of 54 cards are tall with sharp corners but they feel really nice to the touch, easy to shuffle (so many cards are either super sticky or super slippery, this one is the perfect middle ground). Each card is of one of six 'families' (Birth, Love, Ordeal, Transformation, Warnings and Rewards) and is printed in a corresponding single colour and graphic and displays a quote from Rumi, a Sufi poet. I'd have to describe this deck as gentle, a nice way to sit an reflect. The accompanying book is not bad, giving a good description of the meanings for each quote, suggested spreads and a history of Rumi. A nice find at BMV Edward.

The Fortune Teller's Mah Jongg – These are so beautiful! Small and slender, these cards display the same information as traditional mah jongg tiles, and the method of use is outlined in the accompanying hardcover book, including a history of mah jongg, card meanings, how to lay them and sample readings – and even abridged rules to playing mah jongg, which you can play with these cards. Best part is that I got these from a friend.

Hanson-Roberts Tarot – I'd seen a few of the cards online and thought they looked nice, and everyone goes on and on about this deck, so I thought I'd pick it up and see what the fuss was about. Well I'm glad I did, it's a lovely deck. Good size, good feel – a bit sticky from the gloss, I'll have to scuff them up to be able to use them properly. The imagery is pretty traditional Rider-Waite so easy to follow for a beginner. I like the illustration style too, the heavy black outlines and soft coloured pencil shading works well. The LWB is actually pretty detailed too. BMV Edward.

The Secret Tarot kit – Previously known as the Renaissance Tarot, I must say this was intriguing right from the start. The cards are photographs of sculpted images in gold tones, which I think is an interesting twist. The minors are pips though, which doesn't help. Somewhat large but they slide nicely through the hands. The book that comes with the kit is pretty detailed too, so that's a good bonus. BMV Bloor.

What do you think, do you have any of these? Do they read well?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.