Monday, August 11, 2014

Too soon: Robin Williams

via 9gag.com
Tonight I went to see Guardians Of The Galaxy with a couple of friends, and I thought I might write something about it. But once the film was done and we started checking our devices, I realized it would have to wait - we learned of Robin Williams' passing.

Apparently he'd been battling depression lately. I wish he'd reached out to someone today, as difficult as I imagine it would have been - he was loved by so many people, not just fans like myself but the staggering number of co-stars of his film, television, comedy and charity work. Someone would have been there for him I'm sure.

Like many people, my first experience of him was on Mork & Mindy, which came totally out of left field. My brother had his Reality... What A Concept album and I played it non-stop. He was perfectly cast in Popeye, but we all wondered if that was all he could do. The World According To Garp proved there was more to him. He went on to star in so many massive hit films I don't think there's anyone who doesn't have a favourite - Jumanji? Hook? Dead Again? Good Morning Vietnam? The Fisher King? Dead Poets Society? Mrs Doubtfire? There are so many diverse roles to choose from. Most interesting role, to me: Cy Parrish in One Hour Photo, disturbing.

Last season he had a show on TV, The Crazy Ones. I admit I was worried it would be too over-the-top all the time, but it turned out to be a really good show, and I was sad to hear it hadn't been picked up for a second season. To be honest, it's among my favourite things he ever did.

He was only 63.

People, appreciate everyone around you. And if you need someone, reach out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.