Friday, August 27, 2021

Oracle sets: a current list

For my own edification, here's a central list of all the oracle sets I have. As with my Tarot list, some of these descriptions are ones I wrote on this blog previously.

1 - 5 Elementals Magical Stone Tarot Kit - Bought in 2009 at a psychic fair. Soy candle with stones and LWB.

2 - The Fantod Pack - Bought in 2009 from Book City, cards measure 2.5" X 3.25". Edward Gorey fanciful card deck in nice box. Beware, all cards indicate bad things, like Loss of Eyelashes or Wispiness.

3 - The Answer Deck - Bought in 2009 from World's Biggest Bookstore, cards measure 2' X 3.25". Came in a set with proper book and a layout sheet. Great imagery, red outlined cards with stark pure b&w images, each with a single word or phrase.

4 - Philosopher's Stone Self-Awareness Deck - Out of print, but I really wanted it and couldn't find it, so I created one myself in 2009, cards measure 3.5" square. I keep it in a mesh pouch. This 40-card deck is used to gain insight and a better understanding of the user’s personal situation and views. DE ES Schwerberge compiled art from his ‘Stoneman’ period to create these cards, and since all of them are on his website I didn’t let a little thing like being out of print stop me – I laid out, printed, trimmed and corner-cut them myself. Believe me, if I could find a proper copy, at a reasonable price, I would purchase it. The art has always reminded me of OMNI Magazine, remember that?

5 - Russian Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards - Bought in 2009 at BMV. Came in a set with proper book. I saw these online and instantly fell in love, and searched forever before finding them at a reasonable price. 25 square cards, all laid out together, each with four half-images, with one matching half for each on another card, so when laying them out any that match tell you something. Sturdy stock, gorgeous artwork, very laquerwork-looking (I would love to have these as an actual lacquered version). No two readings are quite the same. Absolutely my favourite card-based oracle system I have. I REALLY want to recreate them with actual lacquered wood tiles.

6 - Gypsy Fortunes - Bought in 2009 at BMV. Came in set with proper book. Each card with a clear image. The accompanying book has a page for each card. Bright colours, good stock. Giving it to a friend when the pandemic allows us to meet again!

7 - Fan-Tel, The Fan That Tells Your Fortune - Bought second-hand in 2010 at a vintage show. Almost all of the pieces are in good condition but one is held together with tape and the case they're in is pretty age-worn, but the peg and all the sticks are still there and I think that's pretty good for something from 1937. They're delightfully kitschy!

8 - Rumi Cards - Bought in 2011 at BMV. I wasn't sure what to expect from this package, I hadn't really read anything about it and there were no pictures on the box, but I loved the Indian-influenced graphics and colours so I gave it a shot. And I'm quite glad I did! The set of 54 cards are tall with sharp corners but they feel really nice to the touch, easy to shuffle (so many cards are either super sticky or super slippery, this one is the perfect middle ground). Each card is of one of six 'families' (Birth, Love, Ordeal, Transformation, Warnings and Rewards) and is printed in a corresponding single colour and graphic and displays a quote from Rumi, a Sufi poet. I'd have to describe this deck as gentle, a nice way to sit an reflect. The accompanying book is not bad, giving a good description of the meanings for each quote, suggested spreads and a history of Rumi.

9 - Fortune Teller's Maj Jongg - Got from a friend at a swap in 2011. These are so beautiful! Small and slender, these cards display the same information as traditional mah jongg tiles, and the method of use is outlined in the accompanying hardcover book, including a history of mah jongg, card meanings, how to lay them and sample readings – and even abridged rules to playing mah jongg, which you can play with these cards.

10 - Titania's Fortune Cards - Bought in 2011 at BMV. Came in set with proper book. I'll be gifting these to a friend as soon as the pandemic allows us to see each other again.

11 - Egyptian Scarab Oracle - Bought in 2015 from Indigo. Scarab-shaped tiles with proper book and pouch. Giving it to a friend when the pandemic allows us to meet again!

12 - Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards - Bought April 2017 from Moonlower's at the Metaphysical Show. Wanted these for a while, they remind me of Nanny - she used to read from playing cards.

13 - Tessera Oracle - This is an ongoing collection, started in April 2019 at the Metaphysical Show. Each enameled piece can be worn as a talisman or can be read with others. So far I have almost 3/4 of the collection that currently stands at 19 pieces (the Hive, the Lantern, the Path, the Fish, the Anchor, the Flower, the Snake, the Frog, the Crow, the Storm, the Dawn, the Lighthouse, the Hourglass, and the Hammer), but I'm itching to get the rest! Each comes with a meaning card and a chain or cord for wearing as a necklace, and sets come with a spread suggestions booklet. Can't recommend it enough.

14 - Ur-Lenormand - Also known as The Game of Hope. 36 cards. Little square flat box. Not sure where I got it from but I'm thinking it was maybe Value Village? Pretty sure it was in the first few months of 2020.

15 - Success Cards - From February 2020 at BMV at Eglinton. Interesting design, these are for meditation and direction. Cheeky faces!

16 - Celestial Serpent Necklace - A spinner necklace from Gull Moon (a collaboration between Tessera Oracle and Andrea Shelley Designs), hand-cast in sterling silver. It's gorgeous and surprisingly complex given its simplicity. I'm absolutely in love.

17 - Divinity Quest - From early 2021 at Value Village - "activating the higher matrix of godhood in your dna." From Almine, pretty large cards in a pouch with basic instructions on a card.

18 - Elfin Quest - From early 2021 at Value Village (bought together with the Divinity Quest cards). Same size and weight as the other cards, includes a LWB and a chart of 'tapping points.'

19 - La Petite Lune - From August 2021. Limited edition first pressing, a small deck of eight to use on their own or together with other oracle sets or tarot. Really simple and pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.