Monday, July 04, 2016

Proud police?

I was thinking about this on the way in today. I'm not sure why the BLM protesters demanded police not be allowed to participate in the Pride parade going forward, I can only think it's due to recent and historical altercations (Global mentions disproportionate carding and the shooting deaths of Andrew Loku and Jermaine Carby, which are obvious points of concern).

But shouldn't we all want to include rather than exclude here, to mend bridges?

I fully recognize that the BLM movement, while something I support and agree with, comes from a place I can't ever claim to fully understand as I've never lived through what they have lived through.

Looking at the actual demands, they only indicate they want "Removal of police floats in the pride marches/parades" - is this meant to indicate ALL police inclusion, or can there be marching police, the way bands march, just not with a float?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.