Monday, October 02, 2017

They’re just vain

So at my second-to-last show during JFL42 a young man with a charming English accent asked me "Why do people take photos at these shows? They're just vain and wanting to say 'look what I was at that you weren't' right?"

Really, he totally thought he could do this and I wouldn't notice that he was basically insulting me but couching it in innocent words so if I responded to his actual intent he could claim to be the victim (after years of this from a particular person I've deleted, I know the signs).

But being the nice polite Canadian girl that I am, I explained to him that personally I take the photos for myself, to jog my memory as I do have a bad memory at times, and to share with others who were there and want their own reminder, and for the performers themselves so they can have a view they obviously couldn't have of themselves. (And in fact several of the performers have thanked me and shared my photos of them.)

I don't think he expected me to have an actual proper answer for him. And also part of me wishes I WASN'T the polite Canadian girl that I am and just called him out on trying to be a douchebag right there, but then I would have been ragey during the show, which I didn't want.

FYI, this was just before the Jay Pharoah show at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre on Saturday night. He sat in the front row (so did I but not beside him, thankfully). If anyone knows who he was, tell him his douchebaggery couldn't bring me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.