Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The things you learn.

Today I learned Flat Foot Floogie (aka Flat Fleet Floogie) is actually about a syphilitic prostitute.

    The floogie part originally was "floozie" or maybe "floosie," American slang for a prostitute. It was changed to floogie to make it fit for the delicate sensibilities of radio audiences.

    And "floy, floy" was slang for a sexually transmitted disease, probably syphilis. One effect of end-stage syphilis, which may not show up for many years after the infection, is called proprioception. It causes the sufferer to walk with a high-stepping gait, sort of slapping their feet flat on the floor.

    Hence "flat foot floogie."

I'm listening to Fats Waller's version of the 1938 Slim & Slam dance hit now, it's a joyous song and I'll never hear it the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.