Sunday, October 05, 2014

Movies by year: 2005

(Be a leaf on the wind and avoid the spoilers below!)

2005 had some great movies that everyone heard of (Batman Begins, Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, War Of The Worlds, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire), some long-awaited but not universally well-received ones (Constantine, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Sin City, V For Vendetta) and some really interesting ones from out of left-field (Brick, The Matador). But there was really no question about what film I would choose to talk about for this year:

Serenity


I came to Firefly after it was already off the air. I remember it being on at the same time as another outer-space-cowboy show with Michael Paré, which I had seen a bit of one episode of and wasn't impressed, so I think I just discounted them both and moved on. But then I saw a tiny clip of it somewhere and loved what I saw, bought the DVD set and marathoned the entire thing and started it again right after. And didn't understand how such an amazing show ever made it to air and, once there, how it got cancelled.

Then Serenity was announced, and I was SO excited! And it didn't disappoint. Introductory enough that the viewer doesn't need to have seen the TV show, but not so much to bore die-hard fans. New characters introduced in a matter-of-fact way without too much explanation. REAVERS. At times joyful and heartbreaking (you know what I mean, and if you don't I'm not telling), with Joss Whedon's enchanting dialogue and, of course, the best ship in the 'verse.

Saw it a couple of times in the theatre, bought it on DVD and have seen it probably six more times since then. And I'm always willing to watch it again, it you're coming over and wanna watch something! I've heard that even people who don't like Firefly (what's wrong with you people?) liked Serenity.

Did you see it? You can't stop the signal. Let me know what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.