Friday, February 01, 2019

Detritus


Conversation we had on vacation last week: what word were you pronouncing wrong in your head for years before finally hearing someone else say it?

de·tri·tus (/dəˈtrīdəs/)
noun
waste or debris of any kind.
"streets filled with rubble and detritus"

I thought it the accent was on the first syllable and the i was short not long, so "DET-tri-tus" rather than "de-TREYE-tus."

Being a voracious reader, I often came across words in books long, long before ever hearing them uttered, so the first time I actually heard a friend say the word detritus I laughed because clearly they were pronouncing it wrong. Except of course they weren't, I'd been pronouncing it wrong in my head for probably 15 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.