Friday, February 15, 2019

Emergency alert in the night


There was an amber alert lastnight at 11:36pm regarding the abduction of an 11 year old girl by her father. Woke me up. Not complaining about that, that's how it works.

A second emergency alert came in at 12:21am to cancel the amber alert saying 'child has been located.' Oh good, I thought, the little girl is safe. Not sure I needed to be woken up again, but then again it's good to know the emergency is over, and it meant anyone actively involved in searching for her could stand down, so it makes sense.

Woken up again at 2:05am, original amber alert, with the exact wording, comes again. What is going on, did he take her again? Or is there some kind of glitch?

Got up at my regular time to read that no, when they found her, it was too late, the little girl was gone. Father arrested and charged with her death. That poor mother. But what was up with the 2:05 alert then? Must have been a glitch.

Subway ride in, 8:40am, SAME ORIGINAL ALERT comes through again. Exact wording.

Getting coffee at 9am, SAME ALERT AGAIN. Guys, do something about this.

This is a service that is important, and it seems like the original alert led to them finding her, so it's obviously working and doing its job. But what's up with the echoes?

I lived in a building years ago that had dysfunctional fire alarms, they went off all the time. People started ignoring them. Then we had an actual real fire. I'm worried people are going to start ignoring these alerts, especially if they keep glitching like this.

This was a 'Peel Region' alert. That's a bit west of me, but I think Southern Ontario would be a good range of coverage for an alert like this. So why did I read about people in Manitoba receiving this alert lastnight as well? Definitely some work needing to be done on this service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seem to get a lot of spam from anonymous messages - for that reason, I moderate comments. If it isn’t spam I approve comments pretty quickly.